The station originally opened serving the Great Western Railway (GWR)
and Great Central Railway (GCR) joint lines on 1 May 1908. The construction of
a completely new station was begun as part of the GWR's contribution to the
Underground's New Works Programme of 1935 -1940. This projected Central line
services on new electrified tracks parallel to the existing GWR
Delayed by World War Two (WW2), the new station opened on 21 November 1948
with the adjacent platforms still serving main line services. Like other
stations on the western extension of the Central line, the station building
was not complete when the station opened in 1948 and temporary
facilities continued to be used for many years to come, presumably in fact
until the station building was completed in 1961-62. During the 1980s the
booking hall was modernised as part of the Underground Ticketing System (UTS)
programme, and the platforms were resurfaced. Some reconstruction was carried
out in 1998 to the platforms and platform buildings, when new lighting and
signs were also installed.
Northolt Junction, 1 May 1908
Change of name
South Ruislip & Northolt Junction 12 September 1932
South Ruislip 30 June 1947
History of place name:-
The name Ruislip derives from two Old English words 'ryse', rush, and 'hlype',
leap, and thus means 'leaping place across a river where rushes grow'. It
probably refers to a place where the River Pinn could be crossed.
1948 F F C Curtis British Railways (BR) (Western region) architect working on
of LT. 1962 Howard Cavanagh Modified original designs for completion.
1948 Henry Haig Produced frieze on the interior ring beam of the station.
P Croom-Johnson, LT Chief Engineer.
1947 Caffin & Co.
The station building was built adjacent to the original GWR tracks on
Station Approach. Although not completed until the early 1960s the station
building was constructed largely to Curtis's original 1946 design. The
circular tower above the booking hall was in the original plan, although
Curtis had designed this to be fitted with panes of glass between the
slender concrete mullions. In the actual construction of the early 1960s the
tower was constructed from translucent laminated glass/fibre glass curtain
walling fixed to the outside of the mullions, forming a curtain wall rather
than clerestory windows. Below the tower the entrance canopy is
curved. There are two entrances either side of a central poster display, on
side of which are small single shop units.
The signal box, which was just London side of
the bridge, has now been demolished
Inside, the booking hall is dominated by a concrete frieze which is inset
with panels of multi-coloured ceramic and granite chips by Henry Haig. The
frieze is designed to depict the flow of passengers. In addition to being a
striking feature in the circular booking hall it also provides cover for lighting and cabling. The domed ceiling remains in its original
condition and the booking hall is partly lit by natural light through the
clerestory windows above the frieze. The original wooden framed telephone
booths have all been filled with solid doors, except one. The clock above the
entrance to the subway to the platforms is an early example. The recent ticket
collection booths and barriers have been brought further into the booking hall
than the originals, which were set further back into the subway.
This subway passage forks left to a flight of stairs up to the island
platform, whilst to the right a subway passage leads to the main line station.
The subway remains largely intact, although some of the tiling is more recent
at the foot of the stairs, as is the flush strip lighting and the aluminium
poster frames. The Underground platform access stairs retain their original
timber handrails and the central balustrade is an early example.
The platform is an island type and remains largely intact. It is covered by a
concrete 'winged' canopy, which is supported centrally on tapered columns. The
flush strip lighting now visible replaced the original strip-light fittings.
On the platform is a single-storey brick unit, at the eastern end of which is
a glazed waiting room. The pole-mounted station name roundels are not
original. Those visible now are mounted on steel poles. Originally these were
station name roundels mounted in vertical concrete slabs with an integral
Y-shaped light above. The original tiled poster surrounds have been obscured
by more recent aluminium frames. One concrete and timber
platform bench remains intact, whilst the rest have been replaced with
standard steel and timber versions. The platform clock, near the waiting room,
is original, as are the bronze-framed route diagram signs which feature the
two feathered arrows through a circle design.
The platform indicators are also worthy of note as the fixing brackets are
original and the signs themselves, though not original to the station, are replacements
of a very early type.